The safety of our students continues to be of utmost importance at Southside Elementary School. Schools that are smart and safe tend to enhance the learning environment of children. We employ a variety of security measures in our daily efforts to provide a safe, nurturing, learning environment for our students at Southside. These measures reflect our community’s high expectations for school safety and include the following:
- Please do not park your vehicle in the fire lane in front of the school. If you are exiting your vehicle, you must park in the visitor parking (inside the ropes) in front of the school, or the parking area near the paved parking lot. The fire lane is monitored by the fire marshal.
- All visitors MUST enter the building through the front doors. Please do not try to gain entry from any of the side or back doors to the building. Teachers and students have been directed NOT to open those doors for ANY reason.
- At the front doors, you must ring the buzzer to gain entry.
- Once in the building, you MUST sign in at the office and receive a visitor’s pass. You will present a picture ID to be scanned through RAPTOR, a software program that conducts a basic background check. After your ID is scanned, you will receive a visitor’s pass. You must wear this name tag while in the building at all times. If you are not wearing a name tag, you will be directed back to the office to sign in and get a name tag.
- When your visit is complete, you must return to the office, sign out, and exit the building through the front entrance.
It is imperative that you follow the procedures above regardless of how familiar you are to our building. We have many new faces at Southside this year, so while you may be familiar with us, we are not familiar with you.
If you need to speak with your child’s teacher, please stop by the office and leave a message for the teacher. The teacher will contact you at his/her earliest convenience.